In what might be the most useless but entertaining poll data so far this year, Public Policy Polling (PPP) has confirmed what most of us might guess: 85% of voters, view Congress negatively.
Acknowledging that there can be little surprise to this public sentiment against Congress, PPP says, “So we decided to take a different approach and test Congress' popularity against 26 different things. And what we found is that Congress is less popular than cockroaches, traffic jams, and even Nickelback.”
With Congress repeatedly polarized on issues, none of this seems groundbreaking even with the absurd comparisons. But it might be noteworthy that among millennials (ages 18-29), 22% view Congress favorably while only 9% of the entire voter base views Congress in a positive light.
Our legislative branch might meanwhile appreciate that millennials do favor Congress in the following comparisons:
Congress over Telemarketers (68% to 29%)
Congress over the Kardashians (62% to 29%)
Congress over Nickelback (50% to 29%)
Congress over Lobbyists (64% to 29%)
Congress over North Korea (64% to 32%)
Congress over Lindsey Lohan (57% to 36%)
Congress over Fidel Castro (61% to 32%)
Congress over D.C. Pundits (57% to 29%)
Congress over Carnies (57% to 32%)
Congress over Traffic Jams (54% to 39%)
Congress over Donald Trump (57% to 39%)
Congress over Meth Labs (61% to 32%)
Congress over Communism (61% to 29%)
Congress over Gonorrhea (54% to 39%)
That's the good news for Congress. Now the bad news.
Millennials prefer Brussels sprouts over Congress 57/39.
They are very close to split when comparing Congress to used car salesmen at 50/46.
14% of millennials are "not sure" how they feel about a comparison of Genghis Khan to Congress, and the other 86% are split right down the middle, 43%/43%.
France runs a close race with 43% of millennials more favorable, but Congress nudges past for the win with 46% favorability.
Legislators can breath a sigh of relief to know that 50% of millennials consider them favorably over 43% having a more positive view of playground bullies.
Congress holds a 17% lead over cockroaches with Millennials.
But it can't be denied that Congress must be on shaky ground with the largest generation in American history. Millennials prefer head lice over Congress 59% to 37%.
And the weirdest one of all ...
While 7% of polled millennials aren't sure what to think, the rest of them are evenly divided, 46%/46% on the question, "What do you have a higher opinion of, Congress or colonoscopies?"