It's universally known that exercise plays a role in living a long and prosperous life. However, hitting the gym isn't always an easy feat. "My bed is so comfy," "It's raining outside," "I just don't have time." The list of excuses is truly endless, as 50% of people drop out of an exercise regime within the first six months, according to a 2009 study.
But the right motivation could be the trick you need to get your sneakers laced up — and keeping them that way. There's a series of factors that can influence your motivation to work out, such as behavior, social support and self-efficacy, according to Len Kravitz, a program coordinator of exercise science at the University of Mexico.
"The more people think they can successfully do exercise signifies they will more likely adhere to the exercise program," he wrote.
So to lock that mindset in place, below are a few motivational quotes about fitness graced by the mouths of famous people. You'll be literally running out of the door.
1. Arnold Schwarzenegger, actor and former professional bodybuilder:
2. Bruce Lee, martial artist and actor: "If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus; and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them."
3. Mahatma Gandhi: "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
4. Venus Williams, professional tennis player:
5. Sylvester Stallone, director and actor: "Success is usually the culmination of controlling failure."
6. Joe Manganiello: "You're going to have to let it hurt. Let it suck. The harder you work, the better you will look. Your appearance isn't parallel to how heavy you lift, it's parallel to how hard you work."
7. Michael Jordan, former professional basketball player:
8. Jillian Michaels, personal trainer: "I've always believed fitness is an entry point to help you build that happier, healthier life. When your health is strong, you're capable of taking risks. You'll feel more confident to ask for the promotion. You'll have more energy to be a better mom. You'll feel more deserving of love."
9. Mia Hamm, former professional soccer player and two-time olympic gold medalist: