Marco Rubio's Speech Last Night: Highlights And Video
Florida Senator Marco Rubio, who was on the short list to become Mitt Romney’s vice presidential nominee, before the former governor of Massachusetts picked Wisconsin representative Paul Ryan, is nonetheless one of the Republican Party’s rising stars.
And, as such, the Cuban American senator will present Mitt Romney tonight. Here are 5 highlights of Rubio’s upcoming speech at the RNC 2012 convention:
1. “For those of us who were born and raised in this country, it’s easy to forget how special America is. But my grandfather understood how different America is from the rest of world … Mitt Romney knows America’s prosperity didn’t happen because our government simply spent more. It happened because our people used their own money to open a business.”
2. “Our problem with President Obama isn’t that he’s a bad person. By all accounts, he too is a good husband, and a good father … and thanks to lots of practice, a pretty good golfer. Our problem is he’s a bad President.”
3. Now millions of Americans are insecure about their future. But instead of inspiring us by reminding us of what makes us special, he divides us against each other. He tells Americans they’re worse off because others are better off. That people got rich by making others poor. Hope and Change has become Divide and Conquer…We’re united not by a common race or ethnicity. We’re bound together by common values.
4. Yes, we live in a troubled time. But the story of those who came before us, reminds us that America has always been about new beginnings. If we are willing to do for our children, what our parents did for us, life in America can be better than it has ever been…Do we want our children to inherit our hopes and dreams, or do we want them to inherit our problems?
5. The story of our time will be written by Americans who haven’t yet been born. Let’s make sure they write that we did our part. That we chose more freedom instead of more government. We chose the principles of our founding to solve the challenges of our time. We chose Mitt Romney to lead our nation.