As the summer-long speculation over who should be cast as Christian Grey in the upcoming film adaptation of E.L. James' novel Fifty Shades of Grey extends into fall, Matt Bomer (White Collar, Magic Mike) remains one of the most competitive contenders in the "Christian Grey sweepstakes."
However, Bomer's run has not been without controversy. Early on, American Psycho author Bret Easton Ellis, who had been bidding himself through Twitter as a potential screenwriter for the film, threw Bomer under the bus by saying that the actor -- who is openly gay -- could not play the quintessentially manly role because he is married in real life to his longtime partner.
And, contrary to conventional wisdom, the malicious comment hasn't hurt Bomer's chances of clinching the role, as online fans say the actor's sexuality is not a relevant factor in what they see is Bomer's fitness for the role.
Nonetheless, Bomer faces stiff competition from the likes of The Notebook's Ryan Gosling, Man of Steel's Henry Cavill and True Blood's Aleksander Skarsgard. And, so readers start forming an idea of what Matt Bomer would look (and sound) like Christian Grey, here are 13 quotes from the book as recited by the actor:
1. “I do believe you’re making my palm twitch.”
2. “I lay awake for hours and watched you sleep … I might have loved you even then.”
3. “I don’t know whether to worship at your feet or…”
4. “Every time you move tomorrow, I want you to be reminded that I’ve been here.”
5. “I want you and the thought of anyone else having you is like a knife twisting my soul.”
6. “I want you sore, baby”
7. “Stop biting those lips.”
8. “You are just not a pretty face.”
9. “Let me ask you something, do you want regular vanilla?”
10, “I'd like to bite that lip.”
11. "It’s about gaining your trust and your respect, so you’ll let me exert my will over you.”
12. “I've never had vanilla sex before."
13. "I want to make your dreams come true."