James Holmes Diaries: 7 Scary Quotes From the Aurora Colorado Theater Shooter
As lawyers for James Eagan Holmes, the Aurora, Colorado, shooter accused of murdering 12 and injuring 58 others at a midnight premiere of Christopher Nolan's The Dark Knight Rises at the Century 16 movie theater in Aurora, prepare an insanity defense on behalf of their client, new details have emerged about the eerie character.
Holmes' opinions have been made public in a pair of recently-released graduate applications for admission to the school's graduate neuroscience program and the University of Kansas, which also contain comments from three graduate professors who interviewed Holmes giving mixed reviews about the "smart but difficult to engage applicant" who "is going to be a leader in the future."
Here's James Eagan Holmes in his own words:
1. "Rational people act based on incentives for self-fulfillment, including fulfilling needs of self-development and needs of feeling useful and helpful to others."
2. [In Castroville] "the Artichoke Center of The World" [Holmes wore a uniform to school every day] "to curb gang rivalry."
3. "Looking back ... my life could have gone in a completely different direction had I not possessed the foresight to choose the path of knowledge."
4. [Working as a camp counselor for underprivileged children diagnosed with ADHD and Schizophrenia] "these kids were heavily medicated but this did not solve their problems, only create new ones."
5. "I wanted to help them [the disadvantaged kids] but couldn't. This is where neuroscience research becomes available."
6. [In Holme's own research he described] "the illusion between cause and effect relationships."
7. "The mind is actually tricked into believing an action precedes the event that caused it."