22 of the most iconic lines from 'Game of Thrones'
Game of Thrones is known for its violence and dragons, but it wouldn't have so many Emmys if it didn't also have great lines about its violence and dragons. Over six seasons, the characters of GoT have shared wisdom about a variety of topics — bullying, running a kingdom, to name a couple — and they've frequently done it in the form of pithy dialogue. And on certain occasions, they've dropped badass one-liners just because they sounded cool.
For your reading pleasure, we've assembled 22 of the show’s most iconic quotes — these are the lines we feel sum up the main themes of this beloved series. (And we’ve got some GIFs to match.) So pour yourself a drink like Cersei here, and soak in some Game of Thrones before the series returns for season seven on July 16.
1. "The powerful have always preyed on the powerless. That's how they became powerful in the first place."
- Tyrion Lannister, season five, episode one
2. "If you ever call me 'sister' again, I'll have you strangled in your sleep."
- Cersei Lannister to Margaery Tyrell, season three, episode eight
3. "Stick 'em with the pointy end."
- Jon Snow to Arya Stark, on swordplay, season one, episode two
4. "Let me give you some advice, bastard. Never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."
- Tyrion Lannister to Jon Snow, season one, episode one
5. "That's what I do. I drink and I know things."
- Tyrion Lannister, season six, episode two
6. "A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of a sheep."
- Tywin Lannister, season one, episode seven
7. "Power resides where men believe it resides. It's a trick. A shadow on the wall. And a very small man can cast a very large shadow."
- Lord Varys, season two, episode three
8. "The next time you raise a hand to me will be the last time you have hands."
- Daenerys Targaryen, to her abusive brother, season one, episode four
9. "It's easy to confuse 'what is' with 'what ought to be', especially when 'what is' has worked out in your favor."
- Tyrion Lannister, season five, episode nine
10. "Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail, and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb; they cling to the real or the gods or love. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is."
- Petyr "Littlefinger" Baelish, season three, episode six
11. "When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."
- Cersei Lannister, season one, episode seven
12. "In the name of Renly of House Baratheon, First of His Name, Rightful King of the Andals and the First Men, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm, I, Brienne of Tarth, sentence you to die."
- Brienne of Tarth, to Stannis Baratheon, season five, episode 10
13. "If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention."
- Ramsay Bolton, season three, episode six
14. "Winter is coming."
- Ned Stark, season one, episode one
15. "A mind needs books like a sword needs a whetstone. That's why I read so much."
- Tyrion Lannister, season one, episode two
16. "You know nothing, Jon Snow."
- Ygritte, season four, episode nine
17. "The things I do for love."
- Jaime Lannister, before pushing Bran out the window, season one, episode one
18. "The night is dark and full of terrors."
- Melisandre of Asshai, season two, episode one
19. "I think mothers and fathers made up the gods because they wanted their children to sleep through the night."
- Davos Seaworth, season three, episode eight
20. "There is only one god and his name is Death, and there is only one thing we say to Death: 'Not today.'"
- Syrio Forel, season one, episode six
21. "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."
- Sansa Stark, on the eve of the Battle of the Bastards, season six, episode nine
... and finally ...
22. "Happy shitting."
- Tormund Giantsbane to Davos Seaworth, season six, episode nine
Mic has ongoing Game of Thrones coverage. Check out our main GoT hub here.