15 Signs You're Actually a Feminist
So, you’ve been wondering whether you should be claiming the F-word. Feminists are often stereotyped as hairy-pitted activists who hate men, love women too much, are physically incapable of humor and probably don’t wear bras. Katy Perry recently accepted the Billboard Woman of the Year award by announcing to the world, “I am not a feminist, but I do believe in the strength of women.”
As Katy Perry demonstrates, feminism is often misunderstood. In fact, being a feminist simply means you are an advocate of the rights and equality of women. You don’t have to be anti-man to be pro-woman.
Still not convinced? Well, here are 15 signs you might be a feminist.
1) You are a supporter of rights and equality for men and women.
2) You took a women’s studies course and it motivated you to make a difference.
3) You thought this year’s Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show once again lacked diversity.
4) You pay special attention to how gender roles are portrayed in the media.
5) You prefer to be recognized for your talents and not your looks.
6) You are highly offended when you are given specific tasks based on your gender.
7) You don’t see anything wrong with women who run their own households.
8) You often wonder why men are still being paid more than women in the workforce.
9) You are interested in advocacy and have strong opinions about issues that affect everyone.
10) You’ve thought about taking self-defense classes in order to protect yourself.
11) You believe patriarchy is an unjust system that is oppressive to women.
12) The idea of getting married and having children in your 20s is not desirable.
13) You enjoy movies with a strong female lead. For example, you prefer The Hunger Games over Twilight.
14) During this year's election, you were able to determine which politicians had no interest in protecting women’s reproductive rights.
15) Unlike Katy Perry, you wouldn’t be afraid to call yourself a feminist.
No matter who you are, if you believe in the strength of a woman, you're soaking in feminism. You can call yourself whatever you want, but consider this: Any word that is feared has power. When a woman gives up her power, you have to question if she truly knows her worth.