Jyoti Singh Pandey: These Are the 6 Men Accused of Gang-Raping and Killing Jyoti
The Wall Street Journal has unveiled new details about the six suspects of gang-raping and killing 23-year-old physiotherapy student Jyoti Singh Pandey last December 16 on a moving bus in Delhi, India:
1) Vinay Sharma: A gym rat, Sharma earned about $54 a month in a gym that had been one of the venues for the 2010 Commonwealth Games. The evening of the alleged attack he had borrowed 20 cents to add to his pre-paid cell phone.
2) Akshay Kumar: The youngest of three sons of a small-time farmer, Kumar (24) moved to Delhi last summer where he befriended bus driver Ram Singh in the hopes to become a driver himself. His lawyer denied Kumar was on the bus at the time of the attack and said he was innocent.
3) Ram Singh: 33-year-old Singh was a bus driver who previously worked as a construction woker. According to V.K. Anand, Ram's lawyer, his client admitted "he had been drinking" the night of the attack.
4) Mukesh Singh: Ram's 22-year-old brother, also a driver and a previous construction worker. His lawyer also says he wasn't on the bus and that he is innocent. The lawyer also claims that his client was tortured by police.
5) Pawan Gupta: A fruit-seller and Sharma's friend and neighbor, Gupta picked Sharma up the night of the attack and they boarded the bus together.
6) Unidentified Minor: The one suspect who will face charges in a juvenile court was popular as a "helper" on buses because he was skillful at attracting fares in a "singsong way."