What is a Jesuit: 5 Facts About "The Company of Jesus"
1. The Society of Jesus is an order of the Catholic Church, founded by St. Ignatius of Loyola
2. Ignatius of Loyola founded the "Company of Jesus" and took their first vows at Montmartre in Paris in 1534.
3. They have quite a hierarchical structure, organized into geographic areas which "provincial superior" reports to the society's "Superior General."
4. The name "Jesuit" was first applied "derisively," as a critic of those who named Jesus too much in public.
5. Jesuits don't have to wear a habit, and are recommended to dress according to the culture where they live.