What Does the Bible Say About Homosexuality? 12 Scripture Verses About Gay Marriage
Much of the debate over same sex marriage centers on one's belief of whether homosexuality is a sin. If homosexuality is a sin, and marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman, then the faithful can be tolerant of a sin but they cannot support it.
None of the major Abrahamic religions (Judaism, Christianity, or Islam) support homosexuality or gay marriage. The Judeo-Christian belief that homosexuality is a sin is based on the relatively few scriptures that can be found in the Old and New Testament of the Bible. Interpretation of the scripture varies between liberal and conservative scholars. For example many people interpret the word "sodomite" in scripture to mean homosexual rather than a resident of Sodom — even though there was no word for homosexual or homosexuality in Hebrew, Aramaic or Greek.
If you are going to stake your opinion on gay marriage based on what the Bible says about homosexuality it would be a good idea to have read the scripture. Here is a list of the twelve scriptures on homosexuality that can be found in the Bible.
1. Genesis 19:5: "And they called unto Lot, and said unto him, where are the men which came in to thee this night? Bring them out unto us, that we may know them."
2. Leviticus 18:22: " Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."
3. Leviticus 20:13: "If a man also lie with mankind, as he lieth with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."
4. Deuteronomy 23:17: " There shall be no whore of the daughters of Israel, nor a sodomite of the sons of Israel."
5. Judges 19:22: "Now as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, and beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him."
6. 1 Kings 14:24: "And there were also sodomites in the land: and they did according to all the abominations of the nations which the LORD cast out before the children of Israel."
7. 1 Kings 15:12: "And he took away the sodomites out of the land, and removed all the idols that his fathers had made."
8. 1 Kings 22:46: "And the remnant of the sodomites, which remained in the days of his father Asa, he took out of the land."
9. 2 Kings 23:7: "And he brake down the houses of the sodomites, that were by the house of the LORD, where the women wove hangings for the grove."
10. Romans 1:26-27: "For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: 27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet."
11. 1 Corinthian 6:9: "Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind."
12. 1 Timothy 1:9:10: "Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers, 10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;"