Lead Feminism Editor
Are you an experienced editor and journalist who’s passionate about feminism and issues around gender, race, class, sexuality, & LGBT rights? Do you get excited about leveraging social platforms to help produce & distribute news & analysis on feminist topics that reaches a huge audience?
PolicyMic is hiring a Lead Feminism Editor to join our team. You’ll oversee our Feminism section, examining the intersections of race, gender, and sexuality for the millennial generation. You will work directly alongside our Managing Editor to recruit new writers and create engaging, smart, and viral content on the most important trends in feminism, race, and gay rights. You will be in charge of setting the voice and direction of the section, generating fresh angles and topic ideas for the section, and recruiting new writers to help grow the section.
- Shape PolicyMic’s Feminism voice and mission
- Build our editorial calendar and plan our news coverage in the section
- Generate creative, fresh story ideas and headlines based around the news cycle
- Utilize sophisticated analytics tools to program content targeted for social platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Google, etc.)
- Manage a Deputy Feminism editor and recruit and manage a team of 50+ Feminism weekly writers
- Edit Feminism articles from top paid contributors
- 1-2 years editorial experience at a high-volume and smart online publication or news outlet
- Clips from online publications
- Knowledge of AP style
- Voracious reader of online content from diverse sources
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure
- Experience building social media following for news outlet and/or personal brand
- Proven passion for issues related to feminism, intersectionality, and LGBT rights
- Creative, independent, & outside-the-box thinker
- Passion for changing the world and empowering our generation
This is a full-time position in our New York City office.
Candidates should contact Jake Horowitz, firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following:
+ Short and conversational cover letter
+ Short writing sample (500-words or less)
PolicyMic is the voice of our generation, focused on providing high quality news to young people (18-35). PolicyMic is growing rapidly and now reaches more than 10 million unique visitors every month. The company was started in 2011 by Chris Altchek and Jake Horowitz.
* PolicyMic is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities, and people from all gender identities are encouraged to apply.