Beyoncé Just Proved She's the Women's Studies Professor You Always Wish You Had
It's official, ladies. Beyoncé isn't only your imaginary best friend, she's also your favorite imaginary women's studies professor. Just when you thought your one-sided relationship with her couldn't get any better, Beyoncé wrote a feminist essay entitled, "Gender Equality is a Myth." If this makes you want to go back to school and write about the movement that will ultimately be known as Beyoncism, "the interdisciplinary study of how to make feminism the coolest thing ever," you are not alone.
Here's a sample of the best quotes from her feminist essay, but make sure to read the full text on the Shriver Report.
1. "We need to stop buying into the myth about gender equality."
2. "Today, women make up half of the U.S. workforce, but the average working woman earns only 77 percent of what the average working man makes."
3. "Humanity requires both men and women, and we are equally important and need one another."
4. "We have to teach our girls that they can reach as high as humanly possible."
5. "We have to teach our boys the rules of equality and respect, so that as they grow up, gender equality becomes a natural way of life."
6. "Women are more than 50 percent of the population and more than 50 percent of voters. We must demand that we all receive 100 percent of the opportunities."
7. "We have a lot of work to do, but we can get there if we work together."
At the end of every class, when Professor Queen Bey asks us if we have any questions, we'd all just stand there speechless and be like, "Can we braid each other's hair, eat cookie dough and talk about bell hook's transformative approach to feminism?"