Chick-Fil-A is Secretly Continuing Its Anti-Gay Donations


If the news that Chick-Fil-A is continuing to donate to anti-gay companies is news to anyone I have to ask what planet you think you’ve been living on. Some months ago there was a media uproar about the fact the owners of Chick-Fil-A were making donations to organizations that were anti-gay. There was also a public statement made acknowledging their opposition to gay marriage. I wrote at the time that I was offended by their bias and would honor the boycott suggested by gay leaders.

Time passes. I have not eaten at a Chick-Fil-A restaurant in months, but to be honest I don’t get out much. Recently, Media Matters reported they haven’t stopped their support of anti-gay groups and continue to provide financial support. Really? Are you surprised?

Truett Cathy and his family are not going to change their religious beliefs because they’re told that you or I are offended by those beliefs. They do what they do because they actually think it’s the right thing to do. No God-fearing born-again Christian is going to change their stripes to align themselves with the court of public opinion. One of their slogans is “The Bible said it, I believe it, that settles it.” That’s hard to argue with.

Of course, we must wonder what holds them back when we read Deuteronomy 13:13-18, where the Bible commands that if you find a town where folks are worshipping another god, you must kill them all — women, children, livestock — and burn what remains. Oh, and never again build a town on that spot. Yikes! That seems a little harsh, but I suppose if the Bible said it, they believe it, and that settles it. So, I guess a little vigilance is in order.

Bias that has a basis in religious beliefs is extremely difficult to counter. Catholics, for instance, maintain that birth control is evil, except of course when it comes to actually practicing birth control. In that case, it’s necessary. Salonrecently reported that 98%of Catholics practice birth control, which apparently leaves just 2% embracing the rhythm method. Who are the hypocrites here, the Church or its members?

The people who own Chick-Fil-A have every right to be bigots. This is America, after all. The justifications they point to in supporting their bigotry really only matter to them and the people who share those beliefs.

When you think about trying to exert political or economic pressure to change their behavior, remind yourself about how they also believe the Bible represents the entirety of our history. Nothing existed on planet Earth until the week that God created man. Evolution is not real. God has a plan. Do you really think you can convince them otherwise?

If you choose to hold them accountable for their beliefs, remember that your only vote is the one you cast with your wallet. Know also that they will survive without you. Most people don’t think about religion or gays when they’re hungry; they think about a chicken sandwich or a hamburger. What’ll it be? You want fries with that?