All Americans have the following five obligations, whether we remember it or not:
1. Respect the Rights, Beliefs and Opinions of Others:
2. Stay Informed of the Issues That Affect Your Community:
Watching the news, or reading the newspaper, is actually not a choice. It's our responsibility; whether we think the "corporate mainstream media" is corrupt or not.
3. Serve in a Jury When Called Upon:
Though many see it as a burden, "Jury Duty" is our responsibility to serve as a jury in a legal process.
4. Participate in the Democratic Process:
Next time you're thinking about not voting because "politicians are all the same," or whatever, keep in mind that if you're not happy with the status quo you could — in fact, it's your responsibility as an American — participate in the Democratic process by running for office yourself and offering an alternative.
5. Defend the Country, if Need Should Arise:
It's your responsibility, as an American, to bear arms — or participate in civic service — on behalf of the United States and defend it from all enemies both foreign and domestic.
What do you think? Tell me on Twitter @marin_alex